Sunday, June 27, 2010

Gene Therapy Side Effects

One indicator that the gene therapy is working well is that the patient gets a high fever soon after the treatment. In the first treatment my dad had, he did not have a very high temperature. This second time, he had a 40 degree C fever, which is very high. The doctors were very happy with the results this time (how often can you be thankful for a fever?). For my dad, this means he is extremely uncomfortable for 3-4 days. He basically doesn't eat for 2 days, and immediately after the procedure he has to lay still in bed for 8 hours, causing him to feel very restless, and his muscles to ache a lot. Besides the fever, he also vomitted. He is recovering now, though. Compared to the side effects from chemo, my dad prefers this, since the most painful/uncomfortable period is only a few days long.

Just as in the past, when my parents were sick, I have again been reminded how beautiful it is to be in the body of Christ. So many brothers and sisters, from kids in elementary school to the folks who are my grandparents' age, are praying daily for my parents. People from the ShenZhen fellowship who didn't know my parents before are visiting my parents in the hospital.

We just read Titus 3 at Bible Study last week, and it ends with "Everyone with me sends you greetings. Greet those who love us in the faith. Grace be with you all." There is truly a sense of love among brothers and sisters, and we so appreciate it. My parents send everyone their greetings from China also.

No comments:

Post a Comment