Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Survival Mode

Almost four years ago, I started dreading this call, and tried imagining my reactions and emotions upon receiving it. I would lie awake in my bed at night, oscillating between allowing the tears to flow freely, to resolving to be strong and think positively. But the last time I really remember actively worrying about it was roughly two years ago. It’s strange how time numbs us when everything is just going fine. We all too easily forget both good and bad things that we have experienced.

So when the call came, I was caught off guard. I didn’t react like I imagined I would – maybe I was in shock, maybe I was in denial. My mom told me my dad’s stage 4 stomach cancer came back, and that it had spread near his kidney and possibly his lungs. Even though I knew there was a high probability that this would happen, I guess I just figured that if he reached 5 years since his initial diagnosis in June 2006, he’d be pretty much in the clear. I think I stopped worrying because this June is his 4 year mark - he was more than halfway there, and our family had defined our own sense of normalcy since his surgery, multiple rounds of chemo, and radiation in 2006 and 2007. It was naive of me to think the possibility of recurrence was diminishing the closer we got to the 5 year mark.

Maybe I forced myself to think this way; my own mind’s way of protecting my emotions. I like to call it survival mode. I did it when my mom was in the hospital for a month going through grueling physical, occupational, and speech therapy to recover as much functionality as she could from a freak-mistake during her open heart surgery which caused her to have a stroke in 2007. (That also happened to be precisely the time my dad was recovering from radiation, and getting ready for more chemo.)

Everyone said I was strong. Rather, I think maybe I was too weak to handle it all at once, so my body switched to this survival mode, where I just focused on the day-to-day details like going from one therapy appointment to the next, because otherwise it would just be completely overwhelming. It was only much later, many months before my survival-mode-guard came down, before I realized how taxing that period was –I would burst out in tears seemingly randomly, to Kyun’s utter confusion, and I would have to explain that I was reminded of the time in the hospital because a song that I just heard was one that my mom and I listened to every morning while eating our hospital breakfasts.

I’ve decided not to be so bottled up and “strong” this time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being transparent and vulnerable, scared, sad, and afraid of the future. That’s reality, and there’s no need to hide that part. I’m an engineer, and I’m my dad’s daughter – put those two together and you have someone awful with expressing herself in words in person. Maybe writing it down is a way to tell my parents how much I love and care about them, and along the way, telling other people how awesome my parents are.

7 comments:

  1. Love you Connie. I was so heartbroken when you told us the news, but you seemed so strong. So I'm glad you are finding a way to express yourself. We'll be praying for you. Thank you so much for everything and I hope you didn't feel stranded here. Let us know if we can do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing cons. our hearts go out to you and your family, and our earnest prayers are with you. we so wish that we could share in the burden that you carry, but we know God will sustain you and your family. and in His hands is the best place to be... you and your family's strength never ceases to amaze me... know we're always here for you, all the time and any time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi connie, i just found your blog from carrie's just now. i'm so glad we got to spend some time together in new york when you were here. abe and i are walking beside you in prayer in this journey and we love you and your family very much...

    ReplyDelete
  4. :( I just read what you wrote and my throat's all tight and it's hard to focus on my work or anything. Now I understand why you are the way you are. :) And that's why you and your dad are loved so much. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Connie,
    I'm glad that you are blogging and I am glad that you chose to be transparent. Such takes a strong person and much more courage to do. I know God holds your dad and all of you in His hands. Nevertheless, I can't help but grief. Know that we care the world about your family and will definitely be in continual prayer with you and for you all.
    --vivian (please give your mom and dad a hug for me.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Connie,

    Just remember how God guides you and your family through. After four years, your family grow-- in every blessing way. We are full of assurance that another victory is just around the corner. Connie, we are here with you to cheer for you. Thank you to share openly. Love is so strong that can conquer everything. We can cry but we won't be defeated.
    --love David and Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Connie,

    Your parents are always proud of you, and your support are always could confort their heart. Connie, yi-dieh and yi-ma are standing with you and your family in prayers. We will be seeing God's glory again on your dad, May the Lord be glorified through all these things!
    We love you and your family!

    love, yi-ma

    ReplyDelete