Thursday, April 29, 2010

Encouraging Music

When my dad first got sick, and later my mom in the middle of my dad’s treatments, the song that I found strength in was “My Redeemer Lives”.

The very same God That spins things in orbit
Runs to the weary, the worn and the weak
And the same gentle hands that hold me when I'm broken
They conquered death to bring me victory

Now I know, my Redeemer lives, I know my Redeemer lives
Let all creation testify, Let this life within me cry
I know, My Redeemer lives

A friend encouraged me with the verses that talk about God not giving us more than we can handle. Those two things helped me through that time. The song God keeps putting in my head since finding out about my dad’s recurrence this time around is “It Is Well”.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.


I usually don’t like the song because they sing it so darn slow at church, but now the lyrics have more meaning. It’s like an old-English way of saying ”God, I know that even though it all feels pretty crappy right now, in the end I know in my heart that ultimately it is well with my soul because you have everything under control, and You are already victorious!”

My mom told me that my dad has recently been really enjoying the following song:

Christ in me is to live, to die is to gain
Christ in me is to live, to die is to gain
He’s my King, He’s my song, He’s my life, He’s my joy
He’s my strength, He’s my sword, He’s my peace, He’s my Lord.

We have my mom to thank for being a music-centric family.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ro-Ro, my dear Connie,

    Thank you for your honestry and transparency about your feelings. We are praying for your dad and family.

    As you know, I knew about this fairly early on. The news was not good. But as the song says and Bible verse says "I know my redeemer lives".

    As I shared with you father this morning, thank God that the obstruction to the kidney was found early. It was a routine CAT scan that found it. Now with the stent, your father should not have any problem with his kidney.

    Now we wait for the PET scan of 4/30/10 and the next steps.Each step is in His hands. No matter what, our Reedeemer lives...and we live with Him. This is the hope of our faith in Him.

    Love,

    Dry-dad (LLH)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Redeemer song (so glad for the cousin CD). He does live! The Lord has been reminding me that we should thank the Lord for these situations that put us in such a helpless estate because that is when He can take over and carry our burdens for us. So praise the Lord for this crummy mess! We're praying for the PET scan. I hope those doctors are just plain idiots and got it all wrong (no offense to all those doctors out there).

    ReplyDelete
  3. though i do so wish i could be there..i'll keep your family and your dad in my prayers every night.

    Don't worry! We're all here for you!

    Love,
    Melody

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your sharing - through it I see that God has the victory in even the darkest circumstances. We'll be praying!
    -Hingdi and Jacob and Josiah

    ReplyDelete